Thursday, September 27, 2007

canarywood bowl

It was almost too hot to work today, like, 90 degrees and muggy. But I wanted to finish up this canarywood piece, and that meant, 120grit, then 180, 240, and 320. Back and forth to my barn/shop/studio... Woodworkers have shops, artists have studios, I am (shrug) kind of in-between. I never call myself an "artist" though. Canarywood is very easy to work with- not too hard, not too soft, quite smoooooth, sometimes has a great figure if it has had any wormhole action (which this one had none....) Martha Stewart has one of my canarywood bowls in her kitchen. (a feather in my cap and a nice bowl in her kitchen)
I LOVE the Martha people. They all sound so enthusiastic and perky and friendly.
So a day of sanding, done. And the bowl, signed, dated, and a 1st coat of Behlen's Salad Bowl clear finish, done. Maybe i'll do a cocobolo piece next. I have a lot of wood blocks to choose from. And that is a good thing.

No comments: